Day 14 Today is a fun one. And creative. And it gives you options …
Today’s prompt is “Eleven uses ..”.
There are so many advice articles out there on how to write a successful blog post or article – like write an advice post using a specific # of items for an informational article i.e. 11 Uses of Lemon, 11 Uses of DNA, 11 Uses of Silica Gel, The Four Past Tenses and their 11 Uses. And what can work for writing an article will work for poetry.
So take an object – something you are passionate about, maybe something ordinary – and poetically write an “eleven uses for a <object?
Why eleven? Because I saw an additional quirk in the number –
If you are a Stranger Things fan (and I am) & want to grow up to be Eleven (with all her enhanced bad-ass gifts) – you can write an “Eleven uses a <object>” i.e. Eleven uses a waffle iron, Eleven uses a bike. What would it be like for a mentally enhanced girl to attempt something mundane for the first time? Like for The Little Mermaid, What wonder would it conjure?
Alternatively maybe you can USE “Eleven” … like Sandra Cisneros does in this reading as she talks about turning Eleven and about birthdays …
Other PAD challenges are …
- Robert Lee Brewer’s Apr PAD challenge (Twitter, search #AprPAD.)
- The official NaPoWriMo / GloPoWriMo Challenge. (Twitter, search #NaPoWriMo2018)
- The Poetry School NaPoWriMo challenge.
- WORDxWord 30/30 challenge on their blog.
- Moore School 30 Day Poetry Challenge – a list of prompts for National Poetry Month.
- Contemporary Verse 2 2-Day challenge. is a twist, it takes place April 14-15. Registration closed.
- Camp NaNoWriMo – for those wanting help starting another novel …
I have uploaded my Pinterest “Ariel’s List” for April if you want to use those.
Want to look up a past prompt? Maybe one of my past Pinterest “Ariel’s List”?
I’ve made it easy for you. You can find them in my archive on my Poetry Prompts page.
And this posting is delayed because my muse really really liked this prompt ! I started with Eleven Uses a Straw, which morphed to Eleven Uses of a Straw. but I couldn’t come up with 11 but found the poem was insistent on 11 line stanzas …
And finally “Uses for a Straw”, which is par fan-fic and part universal coming of age …